Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tinkle's Sandwich Counter Slaved and with Slots  (Read 2626 times)
aelflaed
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »

Greetings,
(I *hope* I got all the rules and tech stuff covered for this post!)

Tinkle from BPS made a gorgeous (and enormous) set for furnishing The Brown Bag Sandwich Shoppe.

Most of it is deco, and rightly so, but there is one item I think could be very useful with an update.

In the middle is SandwichCounter3. It looks like a counter but is not a counter. Maybe it *could* be a counter.

1/ Tinkle made the set with a matching recolour for the Epikouros counter. I would like it slaved instead of just matching, for more recolour options without bloat.

2/ I would like decorative slots added - two on top and two per shelf, please. (unless someone smarter thinks a different arrangement would work better.) Tinkle provided OMSPs, but it's better if surfaces actually work as such. I don't know whether there is a reason it was not made to work as a counter, maybe that wouldn't work, but deco slots should be fine, yes?

3/ One more tweak would also be lovely. The glass barrier at the top is slanted at the corners.

It would tile more convincingly if the glass went all the way to the corner of the object.

I have uploaded the object to SimFileShare: http://www.simfileshare.net/download/840771/ Tinkle has a very open TOU, as long as credit is given: "Allowed to Pick Apart Mesh, etc".

I considered having a go at this myself, but the tutorials for slots and slaving did my head in rather, and I don't know where to start tweaking the mesh. Is someone willing to help?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:39:47 AM by shastakiss » Logged

leefish
Retired
Gloom Cookie

Wot?

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »

hi, I downloaded the object and it looks like Tinkle cloned the basegame armless statue, not a counter and it is a very different map. if you want it repod to a counter, then I can do that, but it wont be identical.

very rough preview : 

I probably picked the most repulsive recolor possible for this counter Cheesy but you can choose if you want the Tinkle bits assigned to the counter top or counter base.

I can make the shelves inside glass and I would open the back completely so you can get to the slots (slots dont like being closed in by glass). I can get round it by editing the bounding box of course.

Let me know if this is ok for you, or if you would prefer someone else to have a go.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:37:52 AM by leefish » Logged

Downloads at leefish
aelflaed
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »

Thank you, Leefish!
Now things get complicated, because I have enough information to ask questions I didn't know I had.  Wink  Apologies for being a pain, and thanks for your tolerance!

I did look at the file, failed at adding slots, didn't think of mapping issues. (absolutely not an object creator here!)  Is there any point doing something like recloning from a better-mapped object? I realise this may be starting from scratch, and not what you're up for. Just being clear about options.

Is it actually not clever to slave this object? I rather like the the bottom shelf with its doily liner - do we lose that with slaving because it isn't part of the counter map? The original also has vents or whatever along the base like a refrigerated cabinet, although I can live without that quite easily.

you can choose if you want the Tinkle bits assigned to the counter top or counter base.

Assuming I understand you correctly, I would want the colours arranged as they already were - top to countertop, base to the body of the counter, kickboard to countertop. The interior of the cabinet body matches the outside. I can give you Tinkle's counter recolour if wanted - didn't think it was relevant, but if it is...

The glass doors are nice, but I can do without them if they make the slots a pain to use. Happy with the upper shelf being glass. I like the bottom shelf as it is. If it has to change, it could match the body of the counter. That would keep it red as Tinkle's is, just without the white liner. Or glass for both shelves might look better, hard to know from imagining.

I know the image you posted is just a preview - looks like you have already straightened the angles at the top corners, thank you! The glass at the inside left looks angled and the corner brace is eaten by the glass - presumably that is work still in progress.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I bow to your superior understanding of object creation. Wink

leefish
Retired
Gloom Cookie

Wot?

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »

Hi, yea, I already used a counter mesh for this. I planned to have the glass be none recolourable and add the doily also as a none recolourable. Here is an ingame shot, no slots. I can add the vents, not a problem.

Not happy with the glass on the sides of that top bit, I will fiddle with that.

Still to do: add glass shelf, add doily, add slots, add vent thing.

How do you want the bottom part of the tinkle shelf? Mapped to the counter top or mapped to the base?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:39:56 PM by leefish » Logged

Downloads at leefish
aelflaed
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 03:53:54 AM »

That's looking good! Is there not already a glass shelf in your pic?

If you have rebuilt using a counter, does that give counter usage on the top, or will it still be down to the added deco slots? Either is fine, just clarifying.

Perfectly happy with non-recolourable glass and doily. Mind you, I am quite sure someone will look at the result and say...if only there wasn't a doily...! I suppose then they can make another version.

How do you want the bottom part of the tinkle shelf?
I don't know which part you mean?

leefish
Retired
Gloom Cookie

Wot?

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 04:20:25 AM »

I think I am nearly done Smiley What exactly is Tinkle's terms of use? Just to say in the object and any upload that her mesh was used? By cloning a counter, I meant the counter top as the original did not match up well when repo'd. It isnt a counter, but I can make some of the slots hold food if you like? Nice for selling birthday cakes. Wont hold a cake. damn Sad

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:42:27 AM by leefish » Logged

Downloads at leefish
leefish
Retired
Gloom Cookie

Wot?

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »

ok, so I am done I think. The doily is a bit sad, it needs doing by a good texturer, which I am not. No vent I am sorry, but an extra slot on the top instead....

It's currently in sculptures, shall I leave it there or move it to surfaces?

EDIT: have sent file to a texturer friend to try and improve the doily
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:24:30 PM by leefish » Logged

Downloads at leefish
aelflaed
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

Apologies for tardy reply, it was sleep time here...

I would put it in surfaces.

Very happy to have an extra slot in trade for a vent texture. Wink

We can drop the doily if it is making too much trouble. I expect there are standalone deco versions if really wanted.

The display is looking really good! Shame about not holding cakes, but I think it will be a very useful shop furnishing even without that. In any case, customers can't access the goods (visually, anyway), and they would need to use it like a decrachill presumably. Which I am sure would be a whole other kettle of fish. Or cake.

In your pic the glass on top is ?bleeding? into the wall at an angle- is that just the viewing position or something? I don't think I tried the original next to a wall, maybe it did that already. I see the entire right side is missing, actually - the object must be a little oversized for the tile. Not a biggie.

The TOU included with the set:
TOU:

- Allowed Sharing
 - Allowed Recoloring
 - Allowed to Pick Apart Mesh, etc.
 - Credit Due

That's all there is. I was not able to find anything more specific.

leefish
Retired
Gloom Cookie

Wot?

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:30 PM »

Here it is at leefish

Thank you shastakiss for the doily texture
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:03:00 AM by leefish » Logged

Downloads at leefish
aelflaed
Grimly Fiendish
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 03:00:49 AM »

It's beautiful! Thanks to both Shasta and Leefish for doing this.

I will be trying it out as soon as this thunderstorm passes...now shutting down as a precaution.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: