Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Simplifying HP's Pattern Tutorial  (Read 4769 times)
Ameranthe
Formerly known as Liegenschonheit
Queen of the Zombies
Macabre Miscreant

« on: June 06, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

This is not a new tutorial, this is just me sharing some observations about HP's tutorial for creating new patterns. Before you read this, you should probably at least scan over that.

First things first. You do not actually need Illustrator, or to make the image into a vector. If you're like me, that will save you a lot of time fiddling with a program you aren't familiar with.

If you want to make a simple "flood fill" type texture, such as a fabric texture or a new carpet texture, you can simply desaturate your image, clean it up a bit, make sure it tiles correctly, resize it,  and then skip all the way to the end. You don't need to worry about channels at all. In Delphy's program, follow HP's instructions, then select 1 for "number of recolorable palettes". Go down to Palette 1 and click the box to select a default color for your pattern. Save it and test it in game.

If you want to make a texture with multiple color selection thingies, HP's tutorial starts talking about rasterizing and defining colors, and making it seem really complicated. It isn't. First thing that will help you wrap your head around this is each "channel" is just the same as an alpha layer in TS2. Basically, you need to make one for each layer, and it works exactly the same as an alpha. If you want the color to show through, make that bit white. If you don't, it's black. Shades of grey will darken or lighten the color. You can have up to four colors, which means up to four alphas.

To make your texture ready for loading into Delphy's program, make a new image and paste your regular image into it. Then, copy the first of your "alphas", and click "channels" in your new image, and select the first channel. Then just paste your alpha into it. HP mentions the order to layer them, this just means that the color that is the "background" needs to be on the bottom, and then each color is layered on top. Think of this as layering on paint, which would you put first, second, etc.

Your design is going to look funky in the preview window. That's not what it looks like in game, so don't worry. To control what colors it defaults to, select colors in the boxes on the bottom for each one of your "alpha" layers.

Above all, don't look at HP's tutorial and freak out. It's needlessly complex, and making a simple pattern is actually really easy. It will probably take some testing and messing around to figure out exactly how to do everything, but if you know your way around photoshop, you can do this.
salix
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »

Oh, thank you! I read through it like eighteen times thinking WTF?!, I know my way around photoshop and when even that bit confused me I knew it had to be the tutorial and not my brain being stupid.

Edited to add: And if DDS yells at you for having too many channels to export you need to flatten layers and then try again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:55:20 AM by salix » Logged
topkat
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »

Thanks for this, I appreciate you simplifying HP's instructions......however, can someone please make a short visual tutorial w/screenshots to show the process of making multiple color channeled patterns for those of us that are a little s-l-o-w?  It would be very much appreciated by many.
ajOya
CC Simstress
Gutter Punk

I come from a Kingdom far, far, away...

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »

Thank you so much liegenschonheit. I took Illustrator in class but my brain is still smoking from reading that damn tutorial last night.

Angelus_Lacrima
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02:41 AM »

I am so grateful for this. I know Photoshop, but am terrible at vectors.
Elven_Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »

Thanks for simplyifing this.

Does anyone know how to do the 'channel' thingie in psp? Ive got Coral psp x so......
mambogambo
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »

Hi,

I'm a new addition here. nice to meet you.

Thank you very much for this encouragement.

It was not only complex in its description but I am also a GIMP user and was struggling with finding the parallels for the rasterising process.

You have just clarified it completely.

Thanks though, still and without a doubt, also goes to HP for the initial tutorial.

You both make me happy.
SHOWER_SCREAM
Permanently underwhelmed, thanks.
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »

Wow. Just the smallest amount of info added and it's all much clearer. Thanks Leig!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: