Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thrifting.  (Read 18171 times)
SimSpadey
Imma chicken tender!
Macabre Miscreant

Bok Bok Bok Bok BaKAWK

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

I don't have an idea what to cook for my 2-year-old son half the time. He mostly eats what we eat, but he likes to look through the cookbooks while I'm baking and point out the pictures and tell me what they are.

Sometimes the photographs might have been sold or the items might have been sold in order for the seller to make money too. My father-in-law was in the Pacific in WW2 and he got a few items from Japanese families for helping them out after the war was over.

~8> What happens in the coop, stays in the coop <8~
BleakOptimism
Thingamabob
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »

I can't bring myself to buy many new things when there is so much cool stuff to be thrifted, for way less money.  I've met people who just can't be bothered digging about for a bargain, or grossed out by someone owning it before them, but all the cool stuff I own I have thrifted, oh the gems I have found *gazes off into the past* 

Over here in Aus, atleast Tasmania, we have things called tip-shops, where they sell thing people dropp off or they salvage from a tip face (dump?), I can't believe what people will just throw away...

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

Why is this hat on my head? I didn't put it there.

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »

I've been shopping in thrift stores since my mother got a lot of my baby clothes there way back when. I know it's "trendy" now, with bohemian-chic and all that, but it's always just been a way of finding the hard-to-find sizes that I wear, vintage garments that actually fit, etc. for an affordable price.

I also have a Dreamwidth. It has some downloads that aren't on GoS.
levini
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »

I have been shopping thrift stores since I came to live with my mom. In my beleif sets popularity does not really exist so shopping thrift is just like shopping at the popular shitty places in my opinion.
I mostly shop there for random accessories and anything else that I can use to customise my school uniform. Once, I found a abundance (only 1 0) of buttons in a fanny pack I picked up , that shit made me happy for weeks on end. I am a thrifter and I love it
Anda
Kindergoth

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 04:50:14 AM »

I love to thrift. My mom hates when I do that. She's used to buy expensive clothing and accessories, but that's a no-no for me. I feel happier when I've actually found a treasure for a couple of cents than I've spent hundreds of dollars for a, I don't know, dress?
Yesterday I went thrifting and I bought Levis, an original The Beatles band top, one leather tank top, a emerald green blouse and a crop top for ~ 8 dollars.
Deestar
Gloom Cookie

Queen of the Freebies

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »

I usually only shop in thrift shops for accessories, and furniture . I am a plus size so finding decent clothes (non polyester, no mumus) in my size in the local thrift stores is tough (though I have found some great stuff in Boston and NYC on occasional visits there).

I have lucked into a few great things -- I collect Chinese and Indian silk handbags and other than one that was a gift when my sister went to Chinatown in NYC, all of them are thrifted. I have also lucked into two pairs of brand new Doc Martens, one platform square toed straps that I have not seen for sale in the U.S at all (this thrift store was run by an Englishman who frequently traveled back to London to hit up the flea markets in Covent Garden) and another pair of flat, traditional Doc Marten T-Straps.

Most of my books other than those I get from Librarything Early Reviewers are also from the thrift store

Silas
is a delicious
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »

You guys are lucky that you have trendy thrift stores. Over here, where I live, in Narnia, the only kind of second hand clothing we have is from grannies and grampies! No way! Or maybe it's just the area that I live in. My mum said that she'd take me to a thrift store in the city one day. For sure they'd have waaay better clothes there!

SillySoraya
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

I've recently started collecting little elephant statues/ornaments, and there are so many in our charity shops at the moment, I have to stop myself from buying them all!

Also, I'm really excited about going to the USA next May, and am wondering how to convince my mum to come with me to a big thrift store Tongue

Wuvsy
Scum-grazer
Kindergoth

Hate me, sugar.

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 05:53:14 AM »

I used to hate thrift shops. They generally have that old-lady vibe. Then I started peeping around the internet, and it turns out.. DAYUM thrift shops are awesome. xD
Sita
Gutter Punk

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »

Is it all right to reply to a very old thread like this? If not, mods, please move, delete, whatever.
Brought up doing what we call "charity shop shopping". My parents had little money and an expensive (as in "newish") house - and four daughters. So we went regularly to jumble sales, the forerunner of charity shops - as the shops became more prevalent we did those too. But not for nick-nacks - for clothes. Fabrics! Mummy was a keen sewer and gifted dress designer and made most of our clothes herself from cut-downs - sometimes things were usable as is. We never had much money when first married either, and my kids knew when I went into a charity shop, settle down to wait or go in and search too. Son is very good at it - this week he proved it by spotting in a new, near-to-home charity shop window, a boxed set of DVDs containing the whole of Wagner's Ring cycle (about 10 DVDs) in the shop window for £10.
collegerock
Kindergoth

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 12:52:07 PM »

I wear almost exclusively thrifted clothes these days. For the longest time I just couldn't figure out "fashion" or what to do with myself in terms of clothing; I pretty much exclusively wore jeans and plain shirts (well, sometimes the shirts had stripes lol). Then I discovered Buffalo Exchange, and the magic of high-waisted jeans, tucked-in shirts, flannels, and cool jackets! Every time I go I find something interesting, and now my wardrobe is full of things I love wearing.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: