Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: January Tutorial Challenge: Patterns  (Read 27511 times)
pieridae
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

I'm gonna see if I can turn him into a frog.

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »

Ahahaha! I love it Shasta!

Zora Graves
never odd or even
Macabre Miscreant

uǝʌǝ ɹo ppo ɹǝʌǝu

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 02:21:08 AM »

These are the ones I made so far  Smiley

I couldn't get the octopus one to go transparent, but I do quite like it as it is  ^_^

Lace: You opened the gates of hell reminding me of those icons  Grin Somewhere I have TS2 ones floating around as well, I just can't remember where I got them from. MATY maybe?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:27:18 AM by Zora Graves » Logged

SpaceDoll
sweet, sweet lamination
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

Yay! I'm loving all the patterns, people! I am just a little Freezer Bunny obsessed; I might make a desktop wallpaper with that one.

I did find offset in Gimp; it's under layer/transform/offset.

I'm adding all these wonderful patterns to the participants list. Thanks, everyone.

Edit:Zora Graves, I forgot to bring up your octopus (which I love by the way). Transparent patterns are more versatile; for instance you can layer them over gradients or even other patterns, but patterns with backgrounds are great, too! The texture and complexity you have in the background of the octopus pattern is lovely. I will definitely be using it!
All of the patterns at my two favorite download sites (Shizoo Design and Chibi Graphics) have solid backgrounds, and I use the heck out of them!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:42:23 AM by SpaceDoll » Logged

I've massacred my manicure,
(am I poisoned flesh?)
And made a mess
(a sweet caress)
of morning light to midnight.
shastakiss
Overseer
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »

I did find offset in Gimp; it's under layer/transform/offset.

Embarrassed Oops I missed it.

I added some more EA images to my post. I am totally serious when I say I'll make wallpaper and bedding with the nose glasses one.
I love your patterns Zora Graves! Especially the hibiscus ones  Smiley

I'm off to check out the sites you mentioned SpaceDoll, thanks!
jeeks
Kindergoth

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

Thanks for this, Spacedoll!    thanks   I love the idea of Tutorial Challenges.  It makes new folks like me feel better about learning.  I understand trial and error is a part of learning, but it's always nice to have a helping hand to guide.  I'm off to see what I can make into patterns now.

pieridae
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

I'm gonna see if I can turn him into a frog.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »

Zora - I love, love the plumbbob one, and the octopus is awesome too.

Zora Graves
never odd or even
Macabre Miscreant

uǝʌǝ ɹo ppo ɹǝʌǝu

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

Thanks to you all for the comments  Cheesy
SpaceDoll: Yeah, I know that transparent patterns are a big win because they're more versatile. But I tried everything I know of with this damn octopus and at some point just gave up. It can be redyed anyway (which is why I left the hibiscus and lizards white).
I totally missed the ones by shastaskiss and SpaceDoll, but they're awesome! I especially like the lines you put in there, shasta  Cool

I'm trying to make some patterns with various Eaxis pngs (meaning, two or three different pics per pattern), all horror themed (seriously, the Grim Reaper icon ist just too cute). It's not that easy finding a balance between overly cluttered and nearly blank though. Any tips on that?

SpaceDoll
sweet, sweet lamination
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »

You're welcome, Jeeks! I love to create, but my lack of self-confidence keeps me from sharing all that I make. If I can do one thing, I want to inspire confidence in new creators! (And maybe work up the nerve to share more...)

Edit to add: Zora Graves, I'm not sure! If I was making a one-off image, not something to create a pattern from, I would make an initial pattern that was at the scale I wanted, then replace icons individually to suit me. If you used a not random repetition, you could make it into a pattern again, by figuring out the repeat, but I don't know any shortcuts for that! When I use patterned textures I download from places like ColourLovers, I usually just eyeball it, rather than create a pattern from it, though that would be awesome. I hope Lace figures it out!  Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:05:42 PM by SpaceDoll » Logged

I've massacred my manicure,
(am I poisoned flesh?)
And made a mess
(a sweet caress)
of morning light to midnight.
miros
Face Collector
Macabre Miscreant

Face Collector

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »

Shasta, I'd use the dinosaurs for kids' wallpaper or shirts.

What doesn't kill you gives you unhealthy coping mechanisms and a morbid sense of humor.

Dragons are incubating
Kittra
Gutter Punk

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »

The TS2 icons are here.

Thank you for the tutorial. The patterns posted so far look useful. I wonder if the simpler patterns could be converted for TS3.

The first four are TS2 icons, the five in the second row are some old edits I made of Gaia Online icons, and the last one is from Colourlovers. For the last one, I tried making it more transparent, but it doesn't look good on dark backgrounds.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:11:02 AM by Kittra » Logged
Kinu
♡ ♡ ♡
Macabre Miscreant

죽어도 영원히 살래 ♡

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »

I absolutely love that T.O.B.O.R pattern, shasta! I also really like Zora Graves' hibiscus pattern. The grim reaper pattern is really nice too Kittra  Smiley

untidyfan
Color Magpie
Gutter Punk

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

SpaceDoll: I'm loving the purple floral pattern. It's almost lotus-like, which should come in handy for my Far-East vacation hood.
Shasta: You know I love Mr. F Bunny. I'm nabbing the llama and dinosaurs for a nursery set, I think.
Lace: Thank you for linking those patterns. The EA icon patterns are definitely a favorite of mine.
Zora: The octopus pattern is super cute, and the hibiscuses (Is that right? Hibiscui?) would be fab on tropical styled furniture.
KittraCheer More Maxis icon patterns. The Gaia online patterns match TS2 style quite well.

Thanks to everyone who has shared so far! I'm going to doodle with Photoshop tonight and see what I can make.

MrOstrichbird
Gutter Punk

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Everyones patterns look so good!

I took some Sims 3 moodlets and made them into some patterns! Smiley

shastakiss
Overseer
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »

Kittra, the little grim reaper and social bunny patterns are so cute!
MrOstrichbird, ha ha! Who doesn't need bag-over-their-head patterns once in a while?!

Um, I wonder if next month's challenge is to make something using our patterns?
If so, I just couldn't wait that long to make freezer bunny pillowcases - sorry, SpaceDoll!

download

And there's a secret bonus bedding included Sherlock Holmes It made me laugh so hard!
The little s3 icons are pretty blurry in the first place and they're a little blurry on the bedding but I had fun trying Smiley
untidyfan
Color Magpie
Gutter Punk

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »

MrOstrichBird: Rubber Duckies! You're the best! (Seriously, I collect them in real life. My Sims need to be more obsessed with them.)
Shasta: I totally downloaded these. Again, Mr. Bunny gets my love, and I'm so curious about the secret bedding.

Here's what I made:

I'm not so crazy about the bugs, as I feel there are too many flies when the pattern is repeated, but I enjoy the others.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: