Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: All Around the World - 48 Non-Default Face Templates  (Read 59914 times)
isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

Why is this hat on my head? I didn't put it there.

« on: March 05, 2014, 04:54:44 AM »

(Pic is kicker-friendly)

Index
Jump to African Templates
Jump to American Templates
Jump to Asian Templates
Jump to European Templates
Jump to Indian Templates
Jump to Middle Eastern and North African Templates
Jump to Pacific Islands Templates

What are non-default faces? They're face templates that don't replace one of the original Maxis 27 faces in your game. Will they spawn on NPCs? Absolutely. Is there a limit to how many you can have? Unknown. There really aren't that many non-defaults out there right now, so, while I'm inclined to believe that the only limit is what your computer can handle. I know that all of them showed up at the same time in BodyShop on my computer. I know that all of them work in all ages and that they don't cause crashes, at least in my game. As for why anyone would want 48 non-default face templates...I play a game with a 55 skintone set, a 92 eye color set (not counting the 7 alien eyes), and a few hundred Pookleted hairs (as in a few hundred meshes...), all in 16 naturals and 4 grays. Does that explain it? As for which sets these match, the set I started with is Pooklet's We've Got Obsessions (no picture available, but they can still be downloaded from Pooklet's archive), though they should also match Trapping's Permanent Features. As for why the previews are BodyShop, Dominiquex set the precedent there. Please note: I do have moderator permission to  make multiple posts for these. CuriousB was kind enough to allow an exception so they could be in one thread in an organized manner with linked preview pix.

There are a few things I can't promise, though... When they do spawn on NPCs, they won't spawn at an accurate height, of course. In other words, if you want your Pigmys to actually be Pigmys, you'll have to use the stretchskeleton cheat. They also won't necessarily spawn with accurate skin, hair, and eye colors. In other words, you might end up with freckled, red-haired, green-eyed African types spawning in your game. I also can't promise that they'll breed well. When Sims have a baby, they don't go halfway between mommy's features and daddy's features. They get one Sim's forehead, another Sim's nose, etc. Drastically different cheekbones, especially, tend to cause odd-looking children, and this group of templates has very, very different features across the range, cheekbones included. That's just a limitation on the game itself. The other thing non-defaults fail to do is catalog their individual features, so I'm terribly sorry if you want to put the nose from "Central African" and the lips from "Melanesian" on the same Sim. Again, this is the game itself.

There are two extra notes of policy for these:
1. If you're going to do something explicitly racist or derogatory, I'd prefer that you didn't use them or, at least, don't link me to whatever you're doing. I do not support racist use of these. (Historically accurate or educational? Sure. Defamatory? Absolutely not.)
2. If you want to turn these non-defaults into defaults, be my guest. I will not be making any default faces of these or any others, so you're free to take these non-defaults (or any Sim I share for download, really) and turn them into a default face template, but please do give credit.

Disclaimer: I based these off of types listed in a book on drawing and tweaked them using photographs of people from those regions. They're not necessarily "pretty" and certainly aren't perfect. They're meant to be archetypes, not chariactures, and I've gone out of my way to try to make them accurate and not offensive. That said, I'm terribly sorry if you're offended by something (including my lack of visual arts skills) or if the [insert type here] doesn't look like your [insert relative here] from [insert place here]. All humans exist on a range of features, skintones, eye colors, hair colors, etc. Face templates are a starting point, not a be-all and end-all of a particular group of people, and I'm not trying to imply that all people from a particular area look exactly alike. (An example of this would be that my maternal grandfather's family, my husband's father's family, and the family of the violin teacher I had as a child all came from the same ethnic group...in fact, from the same small area of one country, yet none of these individuals not related by blood look remotely alike, despite all of them having features that are present in the archetype.)

As for why a certain group is not present, the groups not covered, such as "white American" and "black American" tend to have ancestry that's mixed between types that are listed and tend to have features that are virtually impossible to pin down as anything other than broad generalizations, such as "the average of all of the types present in the countries of origin common to that area." In other words, your defaults should cover them, as they're generalized. If you're curious as to why there's a historic type included alongside the modern type from the same area, I play a medieval game. The historic type is accurate to the period I play.

Yes, I know the term "Pigmy" isn't politically correct, but the trouble is that there's no other term that encompasses all of the groups of that type. The same goes for "Mongoloid," except, in that case, the other possible term, Asian, includes several other types as well. I've mostly used the terms that the drawing book I referenced used. (I swapped "Irano-Afghani" for "Persian" because it was close in meaning, not horribly offensive, and didn't include a hyphen, which could have messed things up in BodyShop...I wasn't sure.) And yes, I did have to lighten the skin tones of a couple of the types that tend toward the very darkest skintones so that you could see the features clearly. That's BodyShop lighting and a need to actually know what you're downloading, not me trying to impose a western beauty ideal or something. I also realize that some countries don't recognize certain areas as countries (Israel, Palestine, Tibet, and Kosovo, for example), while others do. That said, they're part of geography.

I've also tried to be as culturally sensitive as possible when taking preview pictures while still allowing you to see the entire face of the Sim in question. In other words, the types that are native to majority-Muslim countries have men with beards, but not meshed beards, so you can see the chin shape clearly, and the women of the same archetypes are wearing the clubkitty hijab and non-revealing clothing. On the other hand, there are some groups (in particular, the Ainu, the Inuit up until very recently, and some Polynesians) that practice facial tattooing, and some African types have ritual scarification traditions. I haven't tried to represent those because either accurate CC doesn't exist or they would obscure the features too much to get an accurate preview. In the case of the teeth filing done by Pygmies, the previews are mouth-closed, though I did make a toothmask version of Trapping's pointy teeth that can be used for the purpose. The Asian types are shown without eyelid masks. This is mostly to show the actual shape that those hide, but if you're intending to use them, you'll likely want to find a set that matches your skinset of choice. Maxis eyebrows were used for much the same reason.

And yes, I really will laugh at complaints about racism or sexism, and I'll probably fall off my chair laughing if you try to claim homophobia from these simply because I included a group that tends to have a religion that doesn't approve of homosexuality or something. I've gone out of my way to be as accurate and as sensitive as I could be when making these, and I've included a disclaimer for a reason. If people can't be mature about them, I will not hesitate to request the thread removed from the site, though I'll likely continue to share them by request.

If you're wondering how long it took to make these... I got the idea for the project in the summer of 2011. I had to completely fail twice, once in the 2011 and once in 2012, before I was able to actually make these work. I started work on them in the early summer of 2013, and I finished in early March 2014, a week shy of nine months later. As for how long it took to make each template, once I got the hang of it, the SimPE work took under an hour, but actually making each face took a lot longer. Some types seemed to fly by, but others, especially the first few African types, gave me no end of trouble. (I'm just monumentally bad at making accurate African noses.)

Design Credits:
Pooklet, for the templates that provided a springboard.
Dominiquex, for the tutorial I used for the SimPE work.
Joumana Medlej, for her "Drawing People" ebook that provided the research necessary to make these.

Preview Credits:
Hair - Almighty Hat (and one by me, female AustroAboriginal)
Eyes - CuriousB
Skin - Pooklet
Brows - Trapping (Only the one in the icon, the rest are Maxis.)
All clothing shown in the previews is Maxis.

* Icon150.png (27.28 KB, 150x150 - viewed 93995 times.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:09:33 AM by isbrealiomcaife » Logged

I also have a Dreamwidth. It has some downloads that aren't on GoS.
isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:44 AM »

Previews:
Bantu (Zulu, Herero, etc.)
Central African (Congo, Guinea, etc.)
Ethiopid (Amharas, Gallas, Sidamos, Somalis, etc.)
Khoisan (Khoi, aka Bushmen, and San, aka Hottentots)
Nilotid (Dinka, Shillouk, Kalenjin, Luo, Maasai, Nuer, Turkana, etc.)
Pigmy (Mbuti, Biaka, Baka, Twa, etc.)
Sudanid (Hausa, Wolof, Bambara, etc.)

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »

Previews:
Amazonian (Yanomami, Terena, Rikbaktsa, Tupi, etc.)
Andid (Quechua or Inca, Araucanians, etc.)
Central Amerind (Hopi, Maya, Aztec, etc.)
Inuit (Inuit, aka "Eskimos")
Margid Amerind (Sonara, Shoshone, Creeks, Cherokees, Choctaws, etc.)
Pacific Amerind (Tlinkit, Chinook, Navajo, Apache, etc.)
Silvid Amerind (Iroquois, Mohicans, Delawares, Algonquins, Sioux, Powhatans, Massachusetts, Micmacs, Shawnees, Illinois, Ottawas, etc.)

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »

Previews:
Ainu (Northern Japan)
Indonesian (Indonesia, Malaysia)
Japanese (Japan, except Okinawa and parts of Hokkaido)
Mongoloid (Mongolia, Korea, Siberia, present in Japan)
North Chinese (Northern and Central China, especially Manchuria)
South Chinese (Southern and Central china, including Miao)
Southeast Asian (South and East coast of China, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Indonesia, Okinawa, Laos, Cambodia)
Tibetan (Tibet, Sikkim, Bhutan)
Turkic (Tatars, Uzbeks, Uyghurs, Kyrgyz, Kazakhs)

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:58:24 AM »

Previews:
Alpine (France, Switzerland, Austria, South Germany, North Italy, the Tyrol, Hungary, Slovenia, Poland)
Armenian (Armenia)
Baltic (Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Russia, Germany)
British Islander (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Northwest France, Northwest Spain)
Greek (Greece, Anatolia)
Mediterranean (Italy, South France, Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, the Balkans, Croatia, Montenegro, Cornwall)
Nordic (Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium)
Saami (also known as Lapp, Arctic Scandinavia and Finland)
Slavic (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, East Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:10:30 PM by isbrealiomcaife » Logged

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:59:46 AM »

Previews:
North Indian (Pakistan, Northern India)
Roma (also known as Gypsies, nomadic group found worldwide)
South Indian (Southern India, Sri Lanka, Tamil)
Vedda (highland forests of Sri Lanka)

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:01:31 AM »

Previews:
Arab (Historic), (Modern) (Arabian Peninsula and the gulf states, historic type still found in Yemen)
Berber (North Africa from Western Sahara to Lybia)
Egyptian (Egypt. Copts are closest to ancient.)
Levantine (Druze, Maronites, Mutawali, Alaouites, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, Jordan)
Mesopotamian (Iraq, ancient Sumeria)
Persian (Iran, Afghanistan, Punjab, Kurds)
Tuareg (nomadic Berbers in North Africa)

isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:02:20 AM »

Previews:
Australian Aboriginal (Australia)
Melanesian (Papua New Guinea, Fiji, etc.)
Negrito ("Asian pygmies" from Philippines to Papua New Guinea, Andamanese, Semang, Mani, Aeta, Agta, Ati, etc.
Polynesian (Hawaii, Tahiti, Bali, Bora Bora, Samoa, Easter Island, Maori in New Zealand)

Zora Graves
never odd or even
Macabre Miscreant

uǝʌǝ ɹo ppo ɹǝʌǝu

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »

I have been eagerly waiting for this thread and it turned out even better than I imagined. For some reason I prefer non-default face templates over replacements, so you really made my day  Cheesy
I also appreciate that you gave so many examples of origins, this makes research for diversity (or Sim Challenges) a lot easier. Thanks so much!

Mulford
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »

I'm most certainly going to download these. Thanks a bunch for creating these, isbrealiomcaife!

"We are each on our own journey.  Each of us is on our very own adventure; encountering all kinds of challenges, and the choices we make on that adventure will shape us as we go; these choices will stretch us, test us and push us to our limit; and our adventure will make us stronger then we ever know we could be."
SihaaReigns
Kindergoth

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »

Cheer YAY!!!!! You got the Khoi perfectly <3
Thank you so much IsBrea...

Veni. Vidi. VICI.
BrokenDoll
Gloom Cookie

What only limits you is your imagination

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »

OMG! This is absolutely awesome, thank you so much, I have been looking for something like this for a long time Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:38:45 AM by Gillian in Wonderland » Logged
isbrealiomcaife
Unyielding sexist.
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »

I have been eagerly waiting for this thread and it turned out even better than I imagined. For some reason I prefer non-default face templates over replacements, so you really made my day  Cheesy
I also appreciate that you gave so many examples of origins, this makes research for diversity (or Sim Challenges) a lot easier. Thanks so much!
I'm very much married to the defaults I've used for years. (Pooklet's We've Got Obsessions) So I always prefer non-defaults, especially ones that match the eye style of that set.

Cheer YAY!!!!! You got the Khoi perfectly <3
Thank you so much IsBrea...

I'm really, really glad you think so. That was one of the ones I was especially worried about.

Amalia
will always be a
Macabre Miscreant

Insert witty quote here.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

These look gorgeous! Thank you for all your hard work, Isbrea! Heart burp

*downloads*

Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark.
ritaxis
wearing the old lady hat since 1953
Macabre Miscreant

I can't type. I can't see all my typoes. I do try.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »

I need to say two things, one you won't like and one I hope you will. Let me get the one you won't like out of the way first. That is, I don't buy the premise at all. The idea that there is a face archetype for these different demographic groups just doesn't fit with my experience. I'm not here to argue, so I'm not going to go into all the detail and grab photos from all over to show you what I mean.So, I said that, and it's out of the way.  Now:

The other thing -- these are beautiful, gorgeous, fantastic, wonderful faces. They are so keenly observed as faces: they look really human. And the females are really distinct one from the other.

I don't know what to do. I don't use templates much dfor making faces because I love just messing around with them, but I am so anxious to have these faces in my neighborhoods, I think I'm going to install them all just for that. And I'm one who's never minded the Maxis defaults on the townies, and I never download Sims except for some of Alfi's, so the fact that you've stirred me like this means a lot, at least to me.

Did I succeed in expressing how gorgeous all these faces are (yes, I looked at all of them several times)?

I think you can avoid the ick of the obsolete term "Mongoloid" by replacing it with "Mongolian," which has the advantage of being a normal, neutral ethnic name, even if it's calling a group by one of its members.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: